Standard Poodle Club Forum

Standard Poodle

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   RSSRSS

Password
Log me on automatically each visit I forgot my password
How Indians Celebrate Diwali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Standard Poodle Club Forum Forum Index -> Welfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: How Indians Celebrate Diwali Reply with quote

Shiny colors are key to the celebration. As a kid, Diwali determined to string lights through the greenery of our garden and round the forward door; speeding home from school to convert into my new Indian outlay, and meeting with my parents for puja (prayer) in our praise room. It meant the smell of aroma, the taste of clove-tinged water and the temperature of candles everywhere the house. A giant Diwali function was held each year at my Chanchala Aunty’s house, wherever we kids sat through spiritual lessons and monitored to stories from the uncles before we all feasted on the giant spread and set off fireworks in the yard. Sensory expression: it’s what we brown people do best.
We also share funny Diwali Shayari with our friends on social media.

OK, perhaps celebrating with crazy amounts of food is what we brownish people really do best. Diwali is an opportunity to go ALL OUT with delicious, sensual meals — fussy, complex, labor-intensive ones such as potatoes stuffed with paneer in tomato gravy, aromatic biryani studded with cashews, and gujiya, deep-fried empanada-like cakes filled with a sweet, nut-based filling. Getting up, my mom would cook our Diwali meal in stages, including my favorite vegetarian dishes like saag paneer and daal makhani — foods I now prepare myself. And no pennies on dessert! Now, if we eat those and someone speaks out Diwali Joke, every person on the table laughs like mad. The celebration is very rich and there's no word for that time. This is particularly important on Diwali when the idea is to ring in a sweet new year with a sweet bite, just like apples and honey on Rosh Hashanah. One of my favorite — and not too fussy — Indian desserts is kheer, a creamy rice pudding usually flavored with rose water and topped with nuts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Standard Poodle Club Forum Forum Index -> Welfare All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: