Standard Poodle Club Forum

Standard Poodle

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   RSSRSS

Password
Log me on automatically each visit I forgot my password
Need to learn more about bitch in season and being spayed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Standard Poodle Club Forum Forum Index -> Welfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stella43

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Need to learn more about bitch in season and being spayed Reply with quote

Our wonderful standard poodle bitch is just going into her 3rd season. She is nearly 2. What is the current thinking about having your bitch spayed?
Jenni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next question is - what is your intention regarding your bitch? Very Happy

Do you intend to show her? Or possibly to breed from her as a pet? Both will be out of the question if you have her spayed. How do you feel about coping with her seasons? Do you have other issues to consider, such as cohabitation or frequent contact with a male dog, or being able to walk her satisfactorily whilst in season? Is she healthy and has she experienced any problems with her seasons including phantom pregnancies?

She is physically mature enough to be spayed. If you do enough research on the internet, you will find pros and cons for both options. But the final decision has to be yours. Very Happy I have my reasons for adopting the approach that I did with my bitches, but that was based on my own personal experiences rather than any real scientific evidence. And for evey person you find whose personal experiences dictated one decision, you'll find another whose experiences made them decide the opposite! Rolling Eyes

For example, I have just read that spaying a bitch increases her risk from certain diseases, both of which one of my bitches suffered from (including the reason for her death at 11) but I was advised to do it because of problems with her seasons. However, her twin sister suffered from neither of these despite also being spayed and lived healthily and happily to 14.

I realise that this is absolutely no help at all! Embarassed
Carole g

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting her speyed will make life much simpler and more predictable for you and her.
You can show dogs that have been neutered , its a simple procedure to inform the KC and they will send back a letter wishing you luck in your showing. I have a number of these letters!
I spey my girls as soon as I can, obviously I am a breeder so if all is well with their health tests they have one litter and then are speyed. Life is much more relaxing afterwards, no time needed to be kept indoors and more fun for them.
Don't hesitate - get it done, problems are rare and after a few days they are pretty well back to on lead walks. I favour an outsize teeshirt to cover the tender area until the stitches are ignored.The tail goes through the neck, back legs through the arms and then pulled forward and tied round the chest, far less distressing than the dreaded Elizabethan collar for most.
stella43

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. No, we don’t plan to show her or to breed so it’s really in my mind a question of whether we continue to manage her seasons or go down the speying route. She is very easy going – adapts happily to being walked on her lead instead of having a proper run every day, and the garden is secure from other dogs. In addition she is more lethargic than usual and very happy just to lie around. No health problems or phantom pregnancies!
We had a Giant Schnauzer bitch who developed urinary incontinence after being speyed – I’m a bit scared of that happening again. Much better the slight inconvenience of these few weeks per year than risk that again!
But carole G you come down firmly on the side of speying so I’ll speak with her breeder and the vet and if they too recommend that she is speyed, we’ll go ahead.
James Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I think this topic is getting diversion and you must be think of that Bithces that you bought from the market in the last year. There are or so many changes that you must bring in you after the change in the timings and there are so many editable things available in the market that you can use easily with you,
samyukta85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Use USPS services such as USPS Stop Mail
USPS Media Mail
USPS Track Package
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Standard Poodle Club Forum Forum Index -> Welfare All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: