Telling Our Stories

This forum is about the Telling Our Stories site.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   RSSRSS

Password
Log me on automatically each visit I forgot my password
Comic strips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Telling Our Stories Forum Index -> Newspapers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhob

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Comic strips Reply with quote

Comic strips were one of the greatest features offered by newspapers. So why did they keep getting smaller and smaller?

And why were they on one page instead of being spread throughout a newspaper?

I tried to cover some of this in my "Death of Newspapers" series. But I'm still interested in reading comments here on this subject.

Bhob @ Potrzebie
Newstech
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsprint got more and more expensive and page widths got cut, thus causing a conundrum if you ran two columns of comics. And running two full pages cost a fortune when you combine syndication costs and printing costs.
Bhob

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Harnisch, who runs the "Daily Mirror" blog at the Los Angeles Times, sometimes shows (large enough to read) how the two-columns of strips looked in the old days.

Here's one from May 23, 1959.

Here's one from March 28, 1959

Would it be possible for you to show an old Sun comics page in a similar fashion?
Newstech
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhob wrote:
Larry Harnisch, who runs the "Daily Mirror" blog at the Los Angeles Times, sometimes shows (large enough to read) how the two-columns of strips looked in the old days.
Would it be possible for you to show an old Sun comics page in a similar fashion?

Afraid I no longer have access to such stuff. You see, they laid me off. Crying or Very sad

But the name Larry Harnisch rang a bell. We became friends at an weeklong API copy desk chiefs seminar in 1990 and stayed in contact for some time after that. Small world. Thanks for cluing me in about the blog.
Bhob

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my rave review of King Features email comic strip service, DailyINK.

I've been receiving DailyINK from King Features each morning for several years now. It's an amazing bargain at $15 a year. Only problem is they should add more classic vintage comic strips.

Bhob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Telling Our Stories Forum Index -> Newspapers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: